Birth Certificates General Information
Florida birth certificates are now being issued at all three Alachua County Tax Collector locations. Since birth records are required for obtaining or renewing Real ID compliant Florida driver’s licenses and State identification cards, the partnership between the Tax Collector’s office and the Florida Department of Health in Alachua County makes this process easier by consolidating services and allowing residents to complete both transactions at the same office.
- Available for all Florida births 1917 to present
- Certified copy of the original record
- Accepted as legal proof of birth and citizenship
Obtaining A Florida Birth Certificate
1. Identification (Bring 1):
APPLICANT MUST PROVIDE A VALID PICTURE IDENTIFICATION (ID) TO APPLY FOR A FLORIDA BIRTH CERTIFICATE. If you are a parent requesting a copy of your child’s Florida birth certificate, you must bring your valid picture ID. Acceptable forms of picture ID include:
- Driver License
- State Identification Card
- Passport, and/or
- Military Identification Card
Determine your eligibility (relationship) to receive a Florida birth certificate. You must meet one (1) of the following criteria:
- Be the child named on the Florida birth certificate AND 18 years of age or older, or
- Be the parent of record named on the Florida birth certificate.
3. Certificate Holder Information:
Be prepared to provide information about the person named on the Florida birth certificate:
- Full name of person at birth and any subsequent legal name changes
- Date of birth
- City or county of birth
- Mother’s full name including her maiden surname
- Father’s full name (if his name is on the record)
4. Applicant Information:
Be prepared to provide information about the person obtaining the Florida birth certificate:
- Full name
- Relationship to person named on the certificate (father, mother, self, etc.)
- Mailing address (include city, state and zip code), and
- Daytime phone number
- Applicant’s signature is required
Florida Birth Certificate Fees
- INITIAL CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATE
- DUPLICATES AFTER INITIAL CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATE
- Checks, cash, money orders, Visa, MasterCard or Discover are acceptable forms of payment.
- Please make checks payable to: John Power, Alachua County Tax Collector
- Nonrefundable: Vital record fees are nonrefundable.
Not born in Florida?