Tourist Development Application Process

  1. Fill out and submit application (click this link for application) and wait for the e-mail containing your new account information.
  2. Once the application is submitted and e-mail is received you must visit: to create a TouristExpress login.
  3. Once you have signed up through TouristExpress and we have compared your information with the information on your account, you will receive a confirmation e-mail, at which time, you may start using TouristExpress to remit your tourist tax.

You will not be able to pay online until the above steps have been completed.

Tourist Development General Info

This tax applies to the short-term rental of any living quarters or accommodations in any hotel, apartment hotel, motel, resort motel, apartment, apartment motel, rooming house, tourist camp, trailer camp or condominium. The tourist development tax shall be charged by the person receiving the consideration for the lease or rental, and it shall be collected from the lessee, tenant, or customer at the time of payment.

How much is the tax?

The tourist development tax is 5% of the net rental receipts.

Who is exempt?

Any person who has entered into a bona fide written lease for longer than six (6) months in duration for continuous residence is exempt from this tax.

Any person who has continuously resided for 6 months and has paid the tax imposed for this time shall become exempt on the seventh month and every month thereafter provided he or she continues to reside at the same location.

Full-time students enrolled in an institution offering postsecondary education and military personnel currently on active duty who reside in the facilities described above shall be exempt from the tax.

Rentals made for business purposes by governments or non-profit organizations may be exempt if certain conditions are met.

What revenues are subject to the Tourist Development tax?

The following revenues are subject to Tourist Development taxes:

  • Room Revenue
  • Roll-away Beds
  • In-Room Safe Fees
  • Pet Fees
  • No-Show Fees

More information on these fees can be found in this Taxable Revenue PDF.

What documents are required to be kept by the dealer?

See the Exempt Rules PDF for more information.

When is the tax due?

The tourist development tax is due to the Tax Collector’s office monthly. It is due on the 1st day of the month following the reporting period and becomes delinquent if not paid or postmarked by the 20th day of the month following the reporting period. All owners/operators must submit a return even if no taxes were collected for the month.

How are owners compensated for collecting the tax?

Owners are entitled to deduct 2.5% of the first $1,200.00 of tax due, or a maximum of $30.00 if the return is paid or postmarked by the 20th day of the month following the reporting period.

What if the tax is delinquent?

If the return and payment are not postmarked by the 20th of the month following the reporting period, the collection allowance is forfeited. In addition, a penalty and interest are assessed. The penalty is 10% of the tax due for each month or fraction of a month that the return is delinquent with a minimum penalty of $50.00, and a maximum of 50% of the tax due. The interest rate is variable. You will need to contact the tax collector’s office at 352-264-6968 for the current rate.

What is the tourist development procedure for terminating management of a unit or rental unit?

Please notify the Tax Collector’s Tourist Development Tax Department in writing of the date the business was closed or sold. Please include the Account #, business name, former owner’s name, new owner’s name, if applicable, mailing address and phone number.